Architectural Historians
Appraisers of Architectural
Gallery of Architectural Drawings and Watercolours

Back to list of paintings in this category

Cacket, Burns Dick and MacKellar FRIBA architects

Extensions to the Northumberland County Council Offi
ces, Newcastle-upon-Tyne, 1931-32

Click on the image for a larger picture

Cacket, Burns Dick and MacKellar FRIBA Architects, Northumberland County Council Offices, Newcastle-

Watercolour washes over pencil with pen & ink
Inscribed:  Cackett Burns Dick & MacKellar Architects / Newcastle-upon-Tyne / County of Northumberland
62 x 97 cms (24 1/2 x 38 inches)

Price: please apply to

Cackett was in practice in Newcastle-upon-Tyne by 1885 and by 1900 had joined R B Dick to form the prestigious partnership of Cackett and Burns Dick.  Before the war they built a number of important buildings in the North East including the Laing Art Gallery 1903-4 (in an Edwardian Baroque style tinged with Art Nouveau detailing), as well as three interesting commercial buildings around 1910-12, Cross House (an early reinforced concrete frame coated in Portland stone) and two warehouses for R Sinclair and Co. 

After the war the partnership was joined by R N MacKellar and they received several important commissions for municipal and public buildings, Newcastle University Students Union, 1924, Newcastle Magistrates Court, 1931 and the Tyne Bridge dated 1925-28.

Cackett, Burns Dick and MacKellar dominated public building and planning in inter-war Newcastle.

(detail showing background views of Newcastle-upon-Tyne)