Architectural Historians
Appraisers of Architectural
Gallery of Architectural Drawings and Watercolours

Back to list of paintings in this category

William Walcot

The Royal Star and Garter, Richmond Hill, London 1921-24
Drawn for the architect Sir Edwin Cooper (1873-1942) RA

Click on the image for a larger picture

William Walcot, The Royal Star & Garter, Richmond Hill, London, 1921-24 Gallery Lingard

Pencil, watercolours with bodycolour
Signed:   W Walcot
37 x 52 cms

Price:  please apply to

Edwin Cooper designed many well-known London buildings including Marylebone Town Hall, Lloyds Building in Leadenhall Street EC3, the Headquarters of the Port of London Authority in Trinity Square EC3, the College of Nursing in Henrietta Street W1 and the Port of London buildings at Tilbury Dock.  In 1931 Cooper received the Gold Medal for Architecture. 

Cooper employed Walcot as his draughtsman for important presentation drawings for many commissions, including the Lloyds Building in Leadenhall Street, EC3 and The Royal Star & Garter on Richmond Hill, London.

The view over the Thames from this location at the top of Richmond Hill made it a much loved spot.  From 1738 the site was leased by John Christopher from the Earl of Dysart where he built an inn and named it the Star and Garter (in reference to the Earl being a Member of the Noble Order of the Garter).   Always popular, the Star and Garter Inn was a great success during the 19th century, welcoming diverse guests including Napoleon III and Charles Dickens (who hosted dinners for friends there).  In 1864 the Inn was sold to a company and rebuilt in the style of a French Renaissance chateau designed by Edward Middleton Barry.   Latterly the hotel fell into disrepair and by the end of the 19th century was vacant.  It was put to use as a temporary hospital for troops in the 1st World War and in 1916 became a home for disabled soldiers.  By the war end a new permanent home for wounded soldiers was considered necessary;  the old building was pulled down and a prestigious new design commissioned from the architect Edwin Cooper.  The building was completed in 1924.   The handsome stone Doric style colonnade fine stone detailing with brick walls is reminiscent of the style and features of Sir Christopher Wren’s Royal Hospital in Chelsea for war veterans built 1682-92.
The Royal Star & Garter Home was opened by King George V and Queen Mary in July 1924.